1. I graduate in the spring. Am I eligible to apply?
ANSWER: The REU program is funded by the National Science Foundation. The eligibility criteria for applying is: - Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States. - Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students during the REU program. - Program participants must not attend classes or hold outside employment during the term of their internships.
2. My school does not have a numerical GPA. How should I enter my GPA on the REU application?
ANSWER: Please write a note regarding your school’s grading system. Most schools’ post their grading systems on the transcripts.
3. Is there a minimum GPA to be eligible to apply to your REU program in Animal Behavior?
ANSWER: We do not have a minimum GPA to be eligible to apply. However, we receive many applications for 10 internship positions making the program very competitive. In addition to academic ability, our program looks for good matches of interest between interns and the labs they enter, so think about the research that most interests you before you apply.
4. I transferred schools in my sophomore year and now I’m a senior. Do you want transcripts from both schools?
ANSWER: Yes, please send transcripts from schools you’ve attended as an undergraduate.
5. My school’s semester ends June 15th. Am I eligible to apply and arrive after the program starts?
ANSWER: The first week of the course has several important components needed for the duration, so we generally do not accept people who are going to have to miss significant portions of the program.
6. Is it okay to have letters of recommendation from Jobs?
ANSWER: Your letter writers should be familiar with your academic or research work. We accept letters of recommendation from current and previous employers, associate instructors or teaching assistants, professors, and advisors.
7. I didn’t receive an email confirmation after I submitted my application. How do I know you received my application?
ANSWER: Please check your junk/spam mail and if you don’t find the confirmation email please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org asking if we’ve received your application. You might also check with your letter writers to be sure they have received an email from the program with instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation.
8. My letter recommender said she didn’t receive an email from you with instructions on uploading my letter of recommendation. Who should I contact?
ANSWER: Please ask your letter writer to check their junk/spam mail. If they don’t find the email ask them to send their letter to
email@example.com and we will add it to your application.
9. When will the internship decisions be made? How will I know if I’ve been chosen?
ANSWER: The review process starts immediately following the application deadline and ends when all 10 internship positions are filled. Mentors contact applicants they are interested in either by phone or email to discuss a potential research project. The program director sends chosen applicants an email offering an internship.
10. I made a mistake on my application. How do I correct it?
ANSWER: If it’s a minor error you can send an email requesting we make the change for you, otherwise, you can resubmit an application and let us know to delete the first one.